Monday 25 November 2013

Lesson about Obedience

Being a live-in nanny is a weird job. I’m not technically going to be the Govi (governess) until next year when the kids start distant education, so right now I’m that awkward “not your teacher/not your mother/but still a person you need to listen to” person. And anyone who has kids or works with kids or is around kids or was a kid once will know that kids aren’t always the best listeners.
Sometimes they are so grown up you forget they are kids, sometimes they are so immature you wonder how it’s even possible, but most of the time you need to repeat yourself at least three times before anything gets done.

So obedience has been on my mind a lot. And with obedience comes fun topics like discipline and development and safety. But love and joy also seem to be popping up as being pretty closely linked to obedience somehow.
When the kids listen and act upon what I’ve asked of them, there’s much less need for thoughts about discipline and safety. In fact, it feels like love is so much better expressed and joy more richly felt by all of us in those moments when they obey.

It’s frustrating as all get up to be asking the simplest of things and getting no response. Or getting the opposite of what you ask. Sheesh, I know your only six years old, but baaahh! I’m conscious to try and be as wise as I can be (haha! Its possible!) in what I ask them to do – not ask more than is possible for their age and abilities, usually just what is needed for their safety, the running of the day, or what I think will stretch them to learn something new they are ready for. But more often than not their first response is “NO!” and their suborn little wills turn it into a battle. Because at 5 and 6 years old, they know what’s best.

But, lesson, it’s not just them. It’s me too. I am that child. I am that child who knows my Father, I know the words and instructions He gives me are good and for my benefit, and yet so often I give no response. Or do the opposite. And create a battle for myself. And that battle is usually “what is good” vs “me-not-being-willing-to-admit-I’m-wrong-so-I’ll-keep-fighting-my-point-anyway”.

Sure…You designed me, You created this world, You’ve been around since the beginning, but my 27years count for more. I know what’s good for me. Case in point: Hanson. From the first time I heard MMMBop, I knew what goodness was, and it’s still just as good now.

Jesus tells me “If you love me, you will obey what I command.” Jesus I do love you! But this just sounds… I dunno…. Controlling? Superior? I mean… I’m not a kid. You’re speaking to an adult here, durrr.

But maybe love and joy are linked to obeying God as well. And so maybe the word “obedience” isn’t as ugly as we often hear it to be as adults. It seems to be an expression of love. Of loving who though? Is Jesus really controlling and superior? And how is it even possible to obey it all?… I don’t remember most of it!

Jesus says in the gospel written by John “If anyone loves me, they will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them… I have spoken this while still with you. But the Counsellor (the Holy Spirit) will teach you ALL things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives (thank goodness!). Do not let your hearts be trouble and do not be afraid…I will not speak with you much longer, but the world must learn that I love the Father and I do exactly what the Father has commanded me”.

I am designed in His image. One of my highest purposes is to be made more like Jesus. And Jesus does exactly as the Father commands because He loves His Father. He knows what his Father asks is for the good of the whole world – even if it isn’t always pleasant (as I’m assuming being crucified isn’t a party). But yet Jesus goes… Because He knows His Father and loves Him.

I suspect I will always be closer to a 5 year old than an adult in the way I respond to what is asked of me… I don’t want to say no and create battles, but knowing my history I’m sure I will again at some point. But gosh, I’m so glad that it is God who is my Father asking these things of me. He really is perfection. And His Son came to SAVE the world, not condemn it… I’m so stoked He’s on my side.


No comments:

Post a Comment